Pleasant Grove School was originally established as "Shady Grove" by the community church congregations in 1853. The log structure, which was very near the present campus, served as a school, church, and community meeting house. When the Baptist and Methodist congregations each built their own churches, the name was changed to Pleasant Grove School.
Pleasant Grove School has functioned in its present location for over fifty years. In 1934, several smaller schools were combined with Pleasant Grove to form Pleasant Grove Consolidated High School. Pleasant Grove served first through twelfth grade students until North Whitfield High School was built in 1954. Pleasant Grove served the first through eighth grades until 1975 when a new high school was built and North Whitfield was converted to a middle school to serve the sixth through eighth grade students. Pleasant Grove began serving kindergarten students shortly thereafter and remains a kindergarten through fifth grade school today.
Pleasant Grove was housed in three separate buildings from the late 1940’s until a major renovation project was completed in 2002. The main building (with portions built in 1964, 1966, and 1974) housed most of the classrooms, cafeteria, media center and administrative offices. A separate classroom building (built in 1944) provided extra classroom space and at different times housed first, fifth and third grades. This building also housed the cafeteria and cannery in its earlier years. The old gymnasium had a unique history. The gymnasium was removed from the Fort Oglethorpe Army Base and reconstructed for the school by the community in 1948.
Pleasant Grove School has experienced many years of success due to the excellent faculty and staff, the strong support of a great community and the many students who came to school with a desire to work and learn. Parents, teachers, students and alumni are proud of Pleasant Grove School and its tradition of academic quality in a caring environment.
Parental involvement and support is demonstrated by the large PTA membership and the active participation of its members in school activities. Volunteers respond quickly to any request that is made.
Pleasant Grove continues to achieve high test scores on achievement and norm tests. Expansion in the area of technology has allowed for two or more computers in each classroom. Software is continually updated. An assembly recognizing students attaining honor roll and highest honor roll in grades three through five occurs each six weeks. Programs added to enhance student learning include the EIP program in all grades and daily physical education classes. A full-time counselor has been added. Students from each class participate in Student Council and Students Staying Straight.
The school recognizes and provides for the changing needs of students. For example, the Dalton area has experienced tremendous growth in the past 25 years as the Carpet Capital of the World. Consequently many families have relocated to this area. The After School Care program has helped working parents by providing care for many would-be "latch key" children.
Parents, teachers, and students are proud of Pleasant Grove School and its tradition of academic quality in a caring environment. The school stationery proudly reflects this attitude with the words "where students learn because teachers care".